The Berkeley Fiction Review is a forum for short fiction, published annually. We invite submissions of previously unpublished short stories from around the country and the world. For information about submitting artwork, please see the Art tab. For information on our annual Sudden Fiction Contest, please see the Sudden Fiction tab.
When submitting short fiction, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- We only accept electronic submissions sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Submission: Name, Title” in the subject line (For example, Submission: John Doe, The Girl in the Pool). Stories should be attached to the email as .doc or .pdf. Please do not put the story in the body of your email.
- Submissions should be typed, double-spaced, and single-sided in twelve-point Times New Roman font. There is no minimum required page count, but submissions should not exceed 30 pages in length.
- We try to read blind. Please do not include any personal information anywhere on the document.
- Include your name, address, email address, and the title of your story in the body of the email. We do not require author bios or cover letters along with your submission. If you would like to include a cover letter, please keep it brief, and add it to the body of the email.
- If you feel your story contains particularly sensitive material, content warnings are welcome and will not affect the reviewing process.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, with notification. Please let us know immediately if your story is accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions per author are also accepted. However, you must send separate emails for separate submissions. Please do not attach multiple short stories in a single email, as doing so slows down our review process.
- Due to the volume of submissions, our response time is generally anywhere from three months to a year. Since our staff is composed of students, expect a delay if you contact us during the summer. Feel free to e-mail us an inquiry about your submission, but as our journal functions as a class, some submissions get stuck in review between semesters.
- Payment for contributors is one free copy of the journal in which the story appears.
- All are encouraged to read Berkeley Fiction Review before submitting in order to get a feel for the work we publish. Our most recent issue is $10, and older issues are $7.50. This price includes shipping and handling. For information on ordering, please click here.