The Berkeley Fiction Review is a forum for short fiction, published annually. We invite submissions of previously unpublished short stories from around the country and the world. For information about submitting artwork, please see the Art tab. For information on our annual Sudden Fiction Contest, please see the Sudden Fiction tab.
When submitting short fiction, please keep these guidelines in mind:
In the email:
- We only accept electronic submissions sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Submission: Name, Title” in the subject line (For example, Submission: John Doe, The Girl in the Pool). Stories should be attached to the email as .doc or .pdf. Please do not put the story in the body of your email.
- Include your name, address, email address, and the title of your story in the body of the email. We do not require author bios or cover letters along with your submission. If you would like to include a cover letter, please keep it brief, and add it to the body of the email.
- Include content warnings if you feel your story contains particularly sensitive material, any warnings will not affect the review process.
In the submission:
- Submissions should be typed and double-spaced in twelve-point Times New Roman font. There is no minimum required page count, but submissions should not exceed 30 pages in length.
- Please do not include any personal information anywhere on the document as we do blind-reads only.
- Don’t submit racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise prejudiced work. Be thoughtful and intentional in your writing.
- In order to ensure the quality of our review process, please refrain from sending more than two submissions within a three-month period.
- While we often encourage resubmissions, we ask that authors take the appropriate time to look over their piece and wait three months before sending a revised submission.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, with notification. Please let us know immediately if your story is accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions per author are also accepted. However, you must send separate emails for separate submissions. Please do not attach multiple short stories in a single email, as doing so slows down our review process.
- Due to the volume of submissions, our response time is generally anywhere from three months to a year. Since our staff is composed of students, expect a delay if you contact us during the summer. Feel free to e-mail us an inquiry about your submission, but as our journal functions as a class, some submissions get stuck in review between semesters.
- Payment for contributors is one free copy of the journal in which the story appears.
- All are encouraged to read Berkeley Fiction Review before submitting in order to get a feel for the work we publish. We include electronic versions of our issues in the Archive tab. Additionally, print copies are available for order. Our most recent issue is $10, and older issues are $7.50. This price includes shipping and handling. For information on ordering, please click here.